Friday, March 30, 2012

Can't We All Just Get Along?

My extended family proves highly diverse in religious opinions.  Within our ranks we have Baptists, Lutherans, Methodists, Jews, Catholics, Mormons, undefined Christians, agnostics and atheists.  Some of us have powerful ties to Taoism and the like.  And yet we manage to lay aside our religious differences for the most part and remember that first and foremost we are family.

Aren't we all one great family with God at the head?  Aren't we all His children?  I may not know you, my reader, personally, but I can respect your right to believe as you do.  Although I may not belong to your faith, I can defend with my life your right to worship according to the dictates of your conscience.  And indeed I would do so for any peace loving human being. 

Don't I believe in missionary work?  Don't I believe that everyone has to have certain rites or else they will forever perish in the flames of hell?  I don't know what God some people may worship but the God I have come to know and love wants the best for His children.  He understands we aren't perfect and our understanding is limited.  I can't help feeling that no matter who we are, if we live our lives as best we can, spiritually progress as best we can, give our all for truth as we can understand it we will one day come face to face with the Almighty and He will say the same thing to each person, "Well done.  You have done the best you could with the understanding you had.  Come now and let Me teach you what you might have missed.  Let Me teach you now greater things of which your mortal mind couldn't conceive before." 

2 comments:

  1. I have been there, done that as the saying goes Michelle. You are a very unique individual and I am so glad our paths crossed.
    As a child my parents took us to a Methodist church, in my 20's I went to a Baptist church, from there I tried a Seventh Day Adventist church and was ordained a deacon for life, I have been a pentecostal, and I guess seen it all for the most part,
    My wife and I have been in churches that have split for silly reasons and in some cases it got nasty. We have been without a church for the last few years but try to serve God in any way we can. I get a lot of encouragement from you and your sister. It really means a lot to me.
    Thanks,
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that I have been able to encourage you!! That is a great gratification and blessing to me. I love all religions and from my infancy have had a fascination with my own and learning about others. Many of my religious heroes were not of my religion and when you study other faiths it opens quite a few doors. It broadens your horizons a great deal. I still hold to Mormonism of course but I agree that while you are searching for a lasting relgion in your life, it is best to do exactly as you are doing - serving God as best you can.

    ReplyDelete