Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Relgious Freedom: The Power of Passionate Speech

I have a degree in English Education and have always been passionately in love with language.  Why?  Let me illustrate by relating the words of my all time favorite writer and orator John Taylor of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  He lived in the early days of this country's infancy and was a leader and prophet in his church.  One day he was lecturing to a group of people about freedom and knew that there were men in the crowd in wait to tar and feather him.  These are his words.

"Gentlemen, I now stand among men whose fathers fought for and obtained one of the greatest blessings ever conferred upon the human family - the right to think, to speak, to write; the right to say who shall govern them, and the right to worship God according to the dictates of their own consciences - all of them sacred, human rights, and now guaranteed by the American Constitution.  I see around me the sons of those noble sires, who, rather than bow to the behests of a tyrant, pledged their lives, fortunes, and sacred honors to burst those fetters, enjoy freedom themselves, bequeath it to their posterity, or die in the attempt.  But, by the by, I have been informed that you purpose to tar and feather me, for my religious opinions...If so, now you have a victim, and we will have an offering to the goddess of liberty."

He then tore open his vest and said,"Gentlemen, come on with your tar and feathers, your victim is ready; and ye shades of venerable patriots, gaze upon the deeds of your degenerate sons!  Come on, gentlemen!  Come on, I say, I am ready!"

No one dared move.
(Am I the only woman rather interested in swooning - with a grin - about now?  Just sayin'.)

3 comments:

  1. Michelle I have commented to Crystal that in time past I had a less than honorable way of thought regarding your church due to my lack of knowledge. Fortunately my time in the blog world has afforded me the pleasure to know and love many of the Mormon faith. Everyone reading this post today should be grinning after reading the words of John Taylor. Thank you so much for sharing it with us today. Have a blessed Wednesday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, Odie, though I employed Taylor's words I would be happy seeing this from a member of any faith. In fact I have some posts I have already written about religious freedom that have nothing to do with Mormonism. I write as I feel inclined (sometimes seven posts a day) and take my sweet time in publishing them. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete