Friday, May 4, 2012

Get Fresh With Me

One of the most amazing things we do in this lifetime is eat!  I love good, healthy, soul inspiring food.  I am also blessed to have a fairly large parcel of land on a well and consequently have an orchard and very lively garden.  Since I have historically had rather a black thumb in place of a green one I have required a great deal of help.  My garden presently has tomatoes, peas, artichokes, carrots, squash, zucchini, lettuce, butternut squash and yams to say nothing of the herbs and flowers.  I have been dragging my feet or else I would also have corn by now.  The orchard includes mouth watering delights like figs, avacados, peaches, pears, apples, cherries, mangos, lemons and the like.  Last year much of the harvest went to feeding the hungry, freezing, dehydrating, giving to friends and eating at home.  We still had to throw away quite a bit of surplus.

There is something richly beautiful not only about eating fresh and amazing food every day but actually getting one's hands dirty in the soil in the first place.  Even weed pulling becomes a joy.  Everything takes on new meaning and purpose and you begin to understand life with a more cheerful point of view.  I would like to reiterate that this didn't come naturally or immediately to me in any way.  I've had my irritations with literal thorns in my flesh but when you catch the vision of what you are doing, who you can help, the good you are doing not only to your dinner table but for the earth everything seems to fall into better order and you learn to be more grateful for what you have. 

It also forces you to open your eyes and learn new things you would never have expected.  I became a master at learning to use butternut squash last year because the plants grew like weeds.  I learned how to make several eggplant dishes including ratatouille and had the opportunity to teach new cooking techniques to others.  And to those interested but wondering where to begin, the answer is trial and error.  Dirt.  Seed.  Water.  Sunlight.  Recognize that failing is a part of learning provided you don't give up.  Start there. 

1 comment:

  1. OMG Michelle!! Oh, to live next door to you my friend. I love to cook and would be thrilled to catch some of the overflow of your bounty.
    Have a wonderful Sunday and know you are so appreciated.

    ReplyDelete