Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Present Day Black Death

Today I saw a photo of someone who had the Black Death and I have been reading Defoe's Journal of the Plague Year.   It has caused me a great deal of thought as one might expect.  I have been beyond horrified at the photo of a man with this unearthly, bright red, venomous horror on his neck and been astonished at the terrible accounts I have read of live people being accidentally buried under the infected bodies, parents going mad from the illness of their children and more stories too numerous and sickening to relate.

As I read this book on the treadmill at the gym a few days ago I found myself caught in a reverie.  I often do this when I ponder historical events.  I thought about what I could have done had I been there with the knowledge I have.  How many lives could be saved if they knew they could just destroy the rats, use clean water, and employ soap every day?  I wished that I could have been there to tell them how to lessen the epidemic.  A thought of inspiration broke upon me.  I felt that God had placed me in a time when we face something more fearful and evil than the Black Death.  The physical plague destroyed human bodies.  The emotional, moral, and psychological plague of today destroys human souls.  And today, there is something we can do.

Many in that time were courageous enough to nurse the dying, contagious patients.  How many today are courageous enough to stand up to the tempests of immorality, indecency, abuse, and general plague against that which uplifts and ennobles mankind?  Are we strong enough to walk into the streets filled with agonizing souls and strew as much light and goodness and courage in moral strength as we have to give?  Can we stand for what we believe?  I think that to some extent we all have the power to love and uplift those around us.  Let us give away what goodness we have, lift those hands that hang down and stand for those things that we know can overcome and destroy this present day Black Death.

No comments:

Post a Comment