Monday, May 21, 2012

Reconstructing Priorities

I was not born a baby person.  I was not born a little kid person.  My goal as a child was to be a university professor, professional student, rack up PhDs or eventually become a sage.  I know that I am not the only one who has felt that playing Go Fish is not the most exciting way I could be spending my time. 

Did I mention I have a beautiful custom house and I enjoy keeping it clean?  That my acre of land is covered with an exquisite garden and I have facebook statuses to check?  We can always find something else to do rather than spending time with our kids.  But I realized in attempting to place my own priorities toward the back and those of my kids toward the front that when you do so life slows down and that slowing down is okay.  And you learn to enjoy life more. 



When you spend time with your kids, you realize that the dishes in the sink weren't going to produce monsters that will take over your house.  You will realize that facebook can wait indefinitely.  You rediscover your interest in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Star Wars Monopoly.  And as I learned, you don't need to fulfill the dream you thought you couldn't live without.  You recognize that before your agenda needs fulfilling, your human soul needs fulfilling.  My Julia and Joshua are my Masters degree and PhD. 

1 comment:

  1. I whole heartily agree, just don't forget tiny toons!

    ReplyDelete