Friday, May 25, 2012

Surviving the Plague

As I have recently studied the Black Death I have been terribly impressed by the countless life lessons one can draw from it.  I could fill volumes of my reflections regarding the matter.  But in an effort to keep this blog well rounded, I will only submit one that I found profoundly interesting and is dear to my heart.  I discovered one method someone employed to survive the plague when it raged through London.  He survived, firstly because it was the will of God, and also simply because he was as thoroughly prepared as he could be.  Upon the first breakouts of the plague on the far side of the city, he stocked up on as many provisions as he could possibly manage and then had his family and himself stay within the home almost entirely as the disease took its course and 100, 000 people's lives in the filthy London streets.

This echoes something that my religion has always taught, which is to have on hand at all times a stock of provisions and learn to sustain yourself and your family at a moment's notice.  I was quite enchanted to see that in practice and to learn that it availed the party involved quite well. 

I can personally attest to the importance of being prepared.  Every morning before I rise I pray and ask the Lord what He would have me focus on for that day.  Five years ago in February, the answer was "Be prepared."  I could not understand what I was supposed to prepare so I did everything I could in every area of my life.  The next day, again, the answer to my morning prayer was "Be prepared."  The phrase "if you are prepared ye shall not fear" kept running through my mind.  The third morning was Valentine's Day and again I received the same answer.  I was more or less psychologically ready to catch the sky if it came crashing down on me.  Good thing, too.  At about 10am I was on the freeway, pregnant, and was hit by a gravel truck and a semi.  The car was demolished but the four people within it were protected.  Not one bone broke, the bruises were considerably minimal, and while the entire back seat was smashed to pieces, my eleven month old daughter who had been sitting in it received only one small scratch which healed the next day.  When I returned home after a few hours in the hospital to check on my unborn son, the house was clean, groceries already purchased, dinners for a few days were made and ready, and all things were in order.   

1 comment:

  1. I have read about being prepared and would love to do just that when I work out the areas of finance and space. It is on my mind though.

    ReplyDelete