Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Confessions of a Chocoholic Part II

Now that we know a little of my reformation history, I would like to share with you how I was able to overcome my terrible craving for M&Ms.  Those who are just tuning into my life in the last few years know that I generally never budge from my resolution to avoid unhealthy food.  But why did I take such a drastic turn?  Why didn't I just balance out my life?  The answer is the same one that inspires us all to do hard things and overcome obstacles.  I found myself driven by love.

I honestly never believed I could change my life into a healthier one.  It was beyond my comprehension and I had already consigned myself to being unhealthy forever.  But some years ago I began talking religion to a cousin who had been beloved from my infancy.  Although I never directly nagged him about this, I desperately wanted him to quit drinking.  He was no alcoholic, but in my religious and moral views no alcohol was good alcohol.  He didn't.  I spent a great deal of time on my knees and in deep contemplation on the subject.  I wanted to help not only him but as many people as I could better their lives in that way.  Whilst in prayer the thought came "How can you ask such a sacrifice if you don't personally know how hard it is?"  Little by little I began to realize that God would have me understand how hard it was to give up something I felt I needed but knew was bad for me.  I resolved to give up any and all junk food.  I define junk food as something more damaging to the body than it is good. 

My life changed radically.  Almost immediately my social life altered because people felt strange throwing a party consisting of sugary snacks and inviting me to it.  They knew I would munch only on pretzels and it made them uncomfortable.  I received a great many strange looks and my sister once asked me how long this new fad of mine would last.  People were not generally happy with it.  But despite the cravings and negativity I felt much impressed that this was an experiment I needed.  And if I failed, I had no right to expect anyone else to live a cleaner life.  If I reverted to my former self I was admitting it couldn't be done. 

Today it is a standing law that Michelle doesn't eat anything unhealthy.  My siblings are used to it now though sometimes family members still chide me a bit.  I have had people try to argue with me on this point and rationalize.  I have had many think me crazy.  But I have had more people try to follow my lead than I have had naysayers.  If there is something you feel you can't give up, something in your life you feel is impossible for you to overcome, I assure you it can be done.  It may not be easy, but the best things in life never are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment