Wednesday, January 9, 2013

All the World's A Musical Stage

Leaving the local music shop the other day, the salesman Toby gave me a look and a grin of respect that clearly said "You really are one of us musicians."  It's taken some time for the crew there to get to know me.  I was there purchasing a book of guitar music - a new challenge and pleasure I'm taking upon my shoulders.  I have sung in opera halls, brought home the gold in California and Northern Arizona  and the like, but starting a new instrument I realize that I'm a novice again and despite my musical prowess, in guitar I'm still sucking proverbial Gerber. I know a great many fellows, on the other hand, who can rock anyone, anytime, anywhere, into full surrender.  But how are they at singing "Largo al Factum" from Rossini's opera?

A wonderful lady of my acquaintance has a masters in music.  Surely she can do anything, right?  She caresses the violin something amazing, composes, plays piano, knows classical music like the back of her hand and has an angelic singing voice.  Perhaps she is the final authority on music?  But hand her a six string Martin guitar and tell her to astonish an audience with music by Eric Clapton.  I don't know but I am pretty certain she might level you a fairly blank stare. 

So what is my point?  We are all different.  Not one person in this world ever has to compare him or herself to anyone else.  Our talents are different and even though they may be in some way connected, it is always better to simply focus on being the best person you can be, rather than being upset that someone else seems higher or stronger than you.   I know what competition is like.  I failed a few rather important ones.  But does that make me less of a person?  No.  It makes me myself.  While I was losing a few vocal competitions in high school I was taking some bows for work in the literary realm.  No one is so one sided that they have to let any one talent or personal aspect define them completely.  So take joy in who you are, where you are, at the level at which you find yourself.  After all, even the greatest violinist in the world can't play Mozart's Requiem perfectly all by himself.  It takes an orchestra. 

No comments:

Post a Comment