Friday, June 28, 2013

Casting Out All Fear

If there is one thing for which I am notorious it is the fact that I continually write old fashioned, snail mail letters and cards to people.  If there is another thing for which I am widely known it is that I frequently and spontaneously tell people that I love them, that they are wonderful, and that I believe in them.  A friend of mine once informed me that I am what she would be if she had no inhibitions.  Another friend, in answering why he would not keep in touch with someone he loved, mumbled something to the effect of "I'm not good at that."

It may shock those readers who know me personally, but in many cases I am frightened stiff when I seek to write to or compliment someone, particularly when it is someone I love tremendously or if I am not certain how they feel about me.  It can be absolutely terrifying.  But in my experience, those situations that prove the most nerve wracking are also the most important and and the effects most lasting. 

It isn't necessarily a matter of "being good at it" as much as it is a matter of recognizing that there is something more important than our fears or our egos.  More often than not, the person we would wish to love or compliment needs our attention more than we need to shelter our emotions.  Let us remove ourselves from the picture and let the love we bear the other person take the reins.  Let's just close our eyes, grit our teeth, and take that leap of faith.  Sometimes we rationalize that we don't have time.  We all have the same amount of time given us.  It isn't a matter of time as much as it is a matter of priority.  And what is more important than uplifting the people around us?  If we recognize the importance of interpersonal relationships we will find or make the time. And always remember that perfect love casteth out all fear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment