Friday, September 20, 2013

Play it Cool

Life can be a rough game sometimes.  We all know that, and we have all experienced it in some measure or other.  But one tool that can open doors, help us recover from disappointment and remind us that the difficulties we face are truly only temporary is when we keep our chins up and smile. One gentleman was accidentally kind enough to teach me the power of keeping a smile in spite of overwhelming momentary failure. 

I have to admit, this is one of my absolutely favorite random memories.  I cannot think of it without grinning ear to ear.  Some years ago I visited Cancun for a week and in the normal course of shopping, playing, sight seeing and the like I found myself on a bus headed back to my beach side resort. It had been a long day and I was listlessly gazing out the bus window when we came to a stop beside a car dealership.  Almost immediately a salesman caught sight of me, grinned, stood up tall, straightened his shoulders and proceeded to strut forward toward the bus keeping the "I'm way too cool" smile on his face and a well practiced smolder in his eyes directed at me.  He was swaggering along watching me and obviously feeling himself a very hot item.  I don't know how long he had been working at this particular dealership but apparently he forgot momentarily that there was a step right in front of him.  You can imagine what happened. Trip!  His face and chest didn't hit the floor exactly but it was about as dramatic as you please.  I love anything classic and that was definitely a classic blunder that immediately sent me into hysterical peals of laughter.  But as soon as he steadied himself he looked up with a sheepish but very confident "I'm still cool.  Really!"  kind of smile.  I saluted him army style then and the bus proceeded on its way.  

It really is impossible to look down on someone who keeps a smile in spite of extreme embarrassment.  No matter how devastated we may feel on the inside, it doesn't generally help to get angry, beat ourselves up, or judge ourselves negatively in any way.  Just keep that smile on your face and the next time you may "trip up" in trying to accomplish a certain end, just remember the guy who tripped down the stairs trying to smolder a strange woman.  It just might inspire a grin, and that makes all the difference.