Saturday, December 14, 2013

Jesus Christ on Self Defense

I appreciate all those dedicated mothers out there who call themselves soccer moms.  I walk a bit of a different road.  I am grateful to be a karate mom.  When I am not in the dojo watching my kids kick and punch I am often practicing with them or doing kickboxing on my own.  There exists an intense spiritual power in martial arts and other forms of self defense, and the scriptures are filled with accounts when the Lord requires His people to go to war.  But there is another form of self defense that is my personal favorite and which one can find in the twenty sixth chapter of Matthew.  

After the guard's ear has been smitten off Jesus says, "Put up again thy sword into his place; for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.  Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and He shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?" (Matthew 26:52-53)   He already had a stronger bodyguard at His disposal than His mortal friends could supply.  The greatest self defense of all is faith in God.  

One may say, "Well, yes, the Savior can expect a rescue like that, but I am not perfect so God wouldn't save me."  After almost every miracle He performed Jesus told the person He healed, "Thy faith hath made thee whole."  If we can't believe that it can happen, then of course it won't.  But that doesn't mean it isn't possible if we have faith enough and if it is appropriate for that situation.  I have been rescued from death many times against all odds and when I have refused to fight back on principle.  I know with perfect surety that I am in the Lord's watchful care and that nothing can happen to me without His consent and without a positive, necessary purpose.  Does that mean we will always be spared pain and trial?  Well, consider what happened to the Savior immediately after this incident!  But He suffered voluntarily, for a purpose, He knew that purpose well and He voluntarily allowed it in order to save our otherwise wretched souls.