Friday, December 27, 2013

Love Your Body into Shape

As we enter the new year there are so many resolutions to become better and particularly to lose weight and get in shape.  I do not know of any other New Year resolution so common and the poor round the year gym rats like me cringe when we experience the predictable influx of members who crowd the treadmills throughout the month of January then fade out near the end of March.  I applaud anyone who seeks to better him or herself, so I thought to give you some advice on this point.

Our bodies and minds are intimately and powerfully connected and when we think of our bodies negatively it affects our outlooks on life, our ability to work out, and makes our emotions harsh and brittle.  When remember and consider the blessings our bodies give us, no matter how they look, we become energized and filled with a full and joyful peace.  This may seem rather tiresome and merely philosophy but allow me to give you an example of how this works in the real world and how it can affect even the almighty and ever feared bathroom scale.

Today I was troubled by some difficulties that were pressing on my mind as I hopped on the elliptical. I started treading at a comfortable pace which for me today was about 3.3 miles an hour.  I am no runner and never have been.  But the discomfort of my mind was exhausting my body and I felt that I could not continue even so comparatively slowly as that.  I closed my eyes as I continued and brought my consciousness inside my body to the active functions of my stomach, bones, marrow and the like.  I found calm peace within and my breathing was even and steady.  I realized my legs automatically began to speed up and slowly I opened my eyes to view my pace no longer at a lowly 3.3 but at 9.2 miles an hour.  My breathing was as calm as though I were stretching in yoga.  Later I did the same mental exercise again and opened my eyes to find my pace reaching 14.1 miles per hour and still I felt no strain of muscle, heart, or breath.  When we love our bodies for their functionality and what they do for us, mentally express gratitude for their benefits in our lives, they begin to function better automatically and without nearly the stress or pain we would otherwise have.  I wish us all a wonderful 2014 filled with improvement, progression, and soul enriching peace.