Saturday, March 15, 2014

The Soldier

*  This is the first poem I ever wrote.  I was eight at the time and didn't think much of it as I scribbled it out in about five minutes as a final touch on a lesson I was teaching.  The point of the poem is manifold in that it touches the reality that children are very intense and that this world is a war against wickedness.  Even a young boy, who seems to be doing nothing of importance may indeed be one of the Lord's most valiant soldiers, fighting off myriads of demons striving to lead him into moral destruction.  It also impresses the reader to refrain from judging people by their covers, especially young children.  I might have thrown the poem away after the lesson as I thought all children of my age wrote like that had not my mother's jaw dropped.  Now as I am a mother and I can see what eight year olds can generally produce in the way of writing I can begin to understand her shock.

He is a soldier, walking up a hill.
He is scared, but his face is calm and still.
He is struggling more than anyone ever could.
He is fighting for the right, the truth, the good.
If he defeats the battle, angels will fall at his feet,
Yet he is but a young boy, walking down the street. 

No comments:

Post a Comment