Sunday, May 25, 2014

An Invitation to Atheists

We Theists generally and Christians specifically tend to feel ourselves under fire in recent years by a continual barrage, usually disrespectful and brash, by those who would loudly proclaim the nonexistence of God that they might be clearly heard by men and women in hopes of sounding wise, learned, powerful and strong.  As it is a clear command within Christian doctrine to prove meek and lowly one doesn't often hear the brash, grating tones of an argumentative, defiant, and obnoxious answer coming from those disciples and followers of God.  However, any clear thinker can easily see that it is the quiet person who has self mastery enough to hold his tongue who proves more heroic than those who engage in insulting, jeering mockery.
 
But enough of that.  That isn't why I invited you to this blog post and I hope we can mutually enlighten each other.  I bring that point to the foreground in order to place the foundation of my invitation.  Theists are often expected to defend their faith in the face of cold, unfeeling scientific sophistry, but I would like to turn the tables for a moment today and ask atheists to explain something to me instead.  I have often, as have many others I know, been able to feel the specific mood of someone who just walked into the room without turning to see their face and without their speaking a word.  I know two women who have such a strong spiritual relationship that they can transmit ideas and feelings to each other without speaking and at a distance of more than 100 miles. But as one might like to dismiss these as dishonest challenges or mere fancies, let me throw you one that proves somewhat more distinct in nature.
 
Some years ago I was praying and felt overwhelmed by the impression that someone in my mother's hometown was dead or dying and I called my mother in a panic telling her she had to travel to this town.  Turicachi, Mexico has very few phones and we only hear about the news from that region after a death transpires; we are not privy to knowledge of how our relatives and friends are doing.  My mother thought me mistaken and disregarded my urge to immediately visit Turicachi.  I continued my desperate nagging for months and she continually felt she had other things here in Arizona that claimed her attention too much to go to Mexico.  Finally one day we received a phone call.  Her very dear friend Irma, who I barely knew, had just passed away.  She had been battling cancer for six months. 
 
Explain that to me, my friends.  Explain how I could have known such a thing without internet, without telephone, or other form of communication.  And explain it scientifically, without reaching for the spiritual or the divine.  I would venture that one cannot do so.  I feel that perhaps the only thing a person can say to that is to admit that we do not know all the intricacies of science just yet.  Exactly.  Which is why we cannot rule out conclusively the existence of God.

2 comments:

  1. Coincidence...

    It's your mothers hometown so it's assumed that she would know quite a few people there and being your mother, it would be safe to guess she is of old age as would the people she knows in her home town. Therefore it's not even that remarkable of a coincidence.

    I had a thought a few days ago about my dad's father who most of the family doesn't talk about because of a falling out and found out yesterday that he had passed away. Pure coincidence.

    I'm sure you think of thousands of things daily that don't end up happening or have any relation to things that happen. You probably don't remember most of them because nothing comes of them.

    I would rather think/hope that it is coincidence rather than a God subtly telling me that someone was going to die before it happened and the so called "God" did nothing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear friend Brendon, I highly appreciate your feedback. I am grateful that someone gave me an answer and it is apparent you have given the matter some thought. Since we are having a frank, honest and mutually respectful conversation, I will let you know that I cannot help but think that the idea of it being a coincidence is stretching it a bit. Nevertheless, you bring up some points that I think merit an answer. I have already written a couple of other posts pertaining to this and am prayerfully considering another specifically to answer your coincidence theory, which would surely prove that there is more than coincidence to the events in life. However, your final paragraph intrigues me in a few ways, most pointedly, if there is a God, and if we have attempted to follow His commands, what do we have to fear from death? I have personally never feared death so the idea that God allowing it is a natural, joyful thing to me, rather than some vindictive punishment that ought to be avoided. My final challenge to atheists, which I will publish in due course speaks much to that idea. I hope you stay tuned and once again thank you for your feedback. Best to you!

    ReplyDelete