Saturday, November 15, 2014

Goddess

The first thing we must understand about being a goddess is that she can take liberties when she deems it advisable.  Thus I am bound to inform my gentle reader that one reason I am writing this post is that my friend and critic Mark Byrnes can see the dress I mentioned in an earlier post.  Hello, Mark!  (waves)

That being said, what else does a goddess do?  How does one behave?  And what makes her a goddess in the first place?  These were the questions buzzing through my thoughts prior to Halloween, as I was to don the clothes and act the part. 

Goddess Lesson One:
We become a goddess when someone else of higher rank tells us we are and treats us as though we are.  As all of us are children of God, we already find that that preliminary requirement accomplished.  That is who you are.  That is who I am.  When I approached a friend by the name of Josue Moreno at a Halloween party he asked with a smile what I was supposed to be.  I answered sassy style, "Goddess.  I mean, I already was of course.  I'm just dressing the part tonight."  His nodding and laughter informed me that I had answered his question to the highest satisfaction.

Goddess Lesson Two:
What does a goddess do?  It strikes me that a goddess lives as such partly because of how she treats others.  A goddess is firstly strong enough to give love, tenderness, and rank away because she has so much of it that she has plenty to spare.  At another party I met with a friend who was not in costume at all, but who I felt to encourage to join me in a costume competition. She looked down at her attire and declined but I countered with the idea that a true goddess can wear anything she likes and doesn't have to impress anyone.  Indeed, she was better dressed for the part than I.  A woman who tries to limit the glory of others is the exact opposite of what a goddess ought to and must be.  And certainly, a goddess does not have to wear fancy clothing in order to be the heavenly being she is. I should add that when first appealed to enter the competition my initial answer was, "I'm a goddess and goddesses don't have to compete.  We have already won." 

Goddess Lesson Three:
I dislike repeating this anecdote but I think it important to the discussion.  I had considered the concept quite a bit beforehand but didn't think I would have to employ it while in costume.  Goddesses are heavenly in nature partly because they have such self control and inner power that they do not need to throw temper tantrums of any kind.  I was in the midst of said competition when I found myself required to step forward and state my name.  I did so meekly and calmly but the noise  around me proved sufficiently great that the judges could not hear.  The chief of them accused me of not speaking to which I told him I had but that he had been talking louder at the time.  He flippantly joked at the fact that I should have a booming voice enough to make people hear.  I responded in actual indignation, for he had been disrespecting the goddess ideal all this while by stating "A goddess does not speak loudly.  She speaks quietly.  She speaks in a still, small voice and YOU are expected to LISTEN!"  He looked at me with obvious humbled sincerity and the room went momentarily silent.  I do not like relating this experience, for a true goddess prefers to raise people up rather than silence them by force.

So my friends, remember who you are and rejoice in your natural identity as a goddess.  Cultivate your own divine gifts and lift others to enjoy the same enlightened glory that God gives you!


No comments:

Post a Comment