Wednesday, January 7, 2015

What's in Vogue for 2015

In the early hours of New Years morning my sisters and I curled up on the couch in front of our parent's big screen and watched The Devil Wears Prada. Basking in the beauty of Chanel, Gucci, Versace, and the like I couldn't help but enjoy many aspects of the flick.  A lady could get into an artistic high just staring at the various outfits that Anne Hathaway sports in virtually every scene.  But something was wrong.  I couldn't altogether relax. 

There are a couple things in that movie which I have to say will never be in vogue.  Anyone who has watched The Devil Wears Prada recognizes that the attitude of Miranda Priestly and the other supermodel types proves absolutely out of fashion.  Obviously one of the great points of the movie is to expose how people become unnaturally obsessed with worldly success, fame, and the meaningless things like keeping up with the latest styles.  However, there was another sin against class and sophistication.  I cannot argue too harshly about the state of the models' voluptuous lips and their detailed attention to liner, gloss and the like but what came out of their mouths will never be in good taste.  I inwardly cringed at the repeated obscenities.

Listen up, my friends.  I have been an avid poet for two and a half decades, studied English in college, and read literary classics as fluidly as my daughter reads comic books.  I have traveled four continents including Europe and am in a position to inform you right now that no one in their right mind will ever look down on a person who employs clean, uplifting speech.  A person who uses modest language can stand with confidence in any court, museum, cathedral or palace on earth.  Interested in being the highest and best in the fashion world?  Think tall, chin up, smile bright and keep away from what is quite rightly described as "gutter language."

No comments:

Post a Comment