Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Redefining Valentine's Day

I have a right to rethink Valentine's Day.  V Day and I go way back and have meet at variances for quite some time.  After spending two consecutive February 14ths in the emergency room, being hit by a semi on the freeway on the day of love, and enduring other traumatic events which, ironically enough, center around the holiday, I decided this day and I know each other so well that I can get a little unusually up close and personal. But you know what?  It's your life too and I give you permission to do the same!

I love a quote out of this month's Bon Appetit magazine.  "It doesn't have to be fancy.  It just has to be fun."  Another quote from the same issue proclaims, "Rule number one about gift giving is that there are no rules."  There you have it!  Feel free to do whatever you please with the day and recognize that you are not by any standard obligated to buy roses, heart shaped boxes of chocolates, or teddy bears.  Make the day whatever it means to you and hold your head high as you do it.

Now, there are some of us who are single.  No problem.  It has been my habit in the last few years to gear up for the somewhat dreaded V Day by writing notes of appreciation to all the single women I knew.  I planned service projects around Valentine's Day and made it a day of general appreciation, good feeling and gratitude.  Fighting as I was, post traumatic stress connected with the day it helped to scatter general rainfall of kindness to others and uplifting vibes.  So make the day whatever it means to you.  It may be a day of appreciation to others, it may be a day of gratitude and communing with God, or it may be the day that you take extra fun and care in spoiling and showing love to yourself.  However you chose to define it, make February 14th a day of peace, happiness, and stress free bliss!


No comments:

Post a Comment