Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The Church of the Lost Keys

*Dedicated to one particular naysayer.   You know who you are.

Sounds like something out of Indiana Jones, doesn't it? 
 
I find myself informed that many who dislike Sunday School in general, and as I comprehend it, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints specifically, have bestowed this title upon organized religion and Mormonism.  Their mode of thinking goes something like this:  We often hear stories from church members who relate that in the midst of a busy and stressful day, they lost their car keys, and, after some prayer, God directed them to find said engine starter between the couch cushions of their Lazy Boy.  This, they conclude, stands as proof to them that God knows and loves them, and is involved in every aspect of their lives.  Those who oppose the Church point out that there are many in the chains of bondage, dying of starvation and torture, and this God we believe is so close to us has most certainly forgotten and cast aside these people and left them to their much larger troubles. 

Touché.
 
I see their concern and from a brief and disgruntled view it seems a very good point. My heart goes out continually toward those in third world countries as do regular contributions from my pocketbook.  But let me aid my gentle reader in broadening their horizons a little. 
 
My life, though in a first world country, has generally excited the eyebrow raising, gossip ridden whispers and groans of supreme and bewildered pity from those who have watched the events transpire.  I have become accustomed to fight desperately for my health and life, facing abuse, betrayal, amnesia and many other trials on a daily basis.  This bizarre and often blighted sense of existence has become my daily stroll, and the repercussions prove far more intense than the consequences of a momentarily lost set of keys.  Years have passed without one day that I do not plead to heaven to release me from bondage and anguish, but to no avail. 
 
 
I do not mean to pretend I know all the pains that other people suffer, but I will say this for certain - God knows all things and He is aware of our trials.  He is aware of the sex slave being trafficked just as much as He is aware of the exhausted mom searching desperately for a pacifier to calm her screaming child.  He gives us trials, not because He dislikes us, but because He knows that we need to be tested and tried in different ways to become what He knows we can become.  My heart bleeds for those held in bondage, but it also goes out to those who are the abuser and the offender, for in the long run, their agony shall prove so much worse than those they injure.  This world exists for but a moment and all things shall be made right, either in this existence or the next.  I trust to God that those in dire circumstances shall enjoy a better resurrection but I fear for those in first world countries who face different and more condemning trials.  We in first world countries often fall victim to selling those things that prove most important for things of naught.  We sacrifice family for the love of money and prestige.  We willingly place ourselves in bondage to addictions and hold more to pride than to the saving safety of humility.  We teach our children to scoff at religion and traditional values, damaging them sometimes irreparably in an effort to remain politically correct.  Our dear brethren and sisters in mortal bondage have it rough for now.  True.  But those with education and leisure to read this post often sell ourselves into eternal bondage voluntarily. 
 
 
To those who refer to my religion as the Church of the Lost Keys, I would ask you if you seek to lift the burdens of others?  We do.  We reach out to the homeless, the forsaken, the starving and the rejected.  Do you spend your time in humanitarian service to make a difference in this world, or do you spend it in watching the internet eagerly, looking for a way to speak badly of others?  If your behavior proves more the latter, I grieve for you, for you are in at least as terrible bondage as physical slaves, and worse because for you there is no rest neither night nor day in the confines of your own mind.  Their bondage will come to an end - that much is certain.  The end of your bondage, my dear gentle reader, proves far less a sure event.

20 comments:

  1. This must be satire....please be satire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Not a satire, but I appreciate the comment. Have a beautiful day!

      Delete
    2. It's almost better that it's NOT satire. That someone actually thinks this way is hilarious.

      Delete
    3. I entertained you?! Yea! I am so glad to have brought a smile to your face! Have a beautiful day and give my best to everyone you meet!

      Delete
  2. "do you spend it in watching the internet eagerly, looking for a way to speak badly of others? If your behavior proves more the latter, I grieve for you..."
    Well, I am here reading what you posted, so who is watching the internet eagerly? how much of your tithing helps people, and how much buys malls and pays for summer homes for your leaders? look in the mirror before you preach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I employ the Internet of course! I profess to be Mormon, not Amish (though the Amish are totally amazing people). But I hope I employ my time better than in seeking out dirt, real or imaginary, on organizations to which I am addicted and cannot leave alone. The idea of this post arose from an anti Mormon friend who threw it in my family member's face. Have a beautiful day and let's all do something happy and uplifting. Yoga, poetry, you know - the good stuff!

      Delete
  3. He doesn't care about the starving orphans he chooses to give cancer to in orphanages around the world though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my dear reader! My heart grieves for this belief! I can see you are s wonderful, caring person and I honor you for it. I have had family members die of cancer. One of them was my grandfather, who was indeed an orphan. He said as he was dying that as his body grew weaker his spirit grew stronger and he died thanking God for all his blessings. Have a peaceful day and know that I so very much appreciate you and your wonderful compassion!

      Delete
  4. Why on earth would you call out a single naysayer on a blogpost unless your intention is to create contention and gossip?

    By the very aspect that you have posted this blogpost, you are doing what you call out in your post "speaking badly of others"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a friend of mine. We can agree to disagree and continue in mutual love anyway. I dedicated this to him to make him laugh, actually. He also gave me the idea. Have a blissful day, my friend!

      Delete
    2. He didn't laugh, thus the comment. You mutual love has conditions on it, which is laughable (calling it love). I'm not your friend, please don't assume to call me as such.

      Delete
    3. You pretty clearly called out his parenting style later. That wasn't kind at all.

      Delete
    4. Oh he did laugh - never fear. I speak to him face to face more than on the web. You are free to dislike me. That is more than fine. As a Christian though, I look on everyone as a friend and seek their welfare. Have a beautiful day!

      Delete
    5. I never said he was a parent at all. I was generally in that respect. I am sorry you assume he was a parent but nevertheless, the parenting style described is in fact damaging. He knows I dislike it but he is man enough to disagree with me without becoming vindictive or injured. Have a beautiful day!

      Delete
  5. 10% of your income is a small price to pay for exclusive key return service!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I don't care who you - THAT was an awesome, hilarious comment! Totally made me laugh! Well done!

      Delete
  6. I found this via an online support forum. You seem like a happy and positive person, I feel you ought to know this hurt someone it was meant for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire your thoughtful comment more than any I have received on the web for this post. My friend, I speak always out of love and with much prayer. Let us consider a person has a fatal tumor. We must operate to remove it. Will the operation hurt? Yes, but if we love the person we must do it to rescue them from a worse and more lasting hurt. Hearing the truth hurts initially sometimes but if it will help someone to be a happier person in the long run, free from their shackles of negativity and enmity then this small pain will prove ultimately beneficial. I am grateful if I have pushed someone out of their comfort zone so they can reassess their lives and improve. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
    2. Having a different worldview is not the same as a fatal tumor. You've missed my point though, I just believe it's important to consider your earthly relationships before you publicly put someone you care about down in a rather condescending way. K, cheers, bless you!

      Delete
  7. Bless you right back! Truth is he and I banter like siblings. This is way nicer than the things he does to me, so no harm done. :) have a great day!

    ReplyDelete