Friday, December 30, 2016

Their Hope Shall Be Blasted

Grey skies and low temperatures often bring productivity to a halt and recently the dismal atmosphere led me to break from typical scripture study with my children and place Matthew on the back burner while bringing the teachings of Joseph Smith to the foreground.  I related to them one of my favorite passages from Smith's writing whilst languishing in the unthinkably destitute confines of Liberty Jail. 
 
Smith had found himself imprisoned on false charges and made to endure severe hardship in a tiny cell while many of those who believed on his testimony lay wounded and bleeding in the streets.  He pleaded to God for answers and received the gentle reply that all these things would be but a small moment and give him experience.  The Lord further promised that as to those who would charge him with transgression "their hope shall be blasted, and their prospects shall melt away as the hoar frost melteth before the burning rays of the rising sun."
 
These words rang afresh in my ears, and with them a clear impression dawned to resume writing publicly under the direction of heaven as I have done erstwhile.  My momentary lapse arose in part from certain souls who, priding themselves as upstanding disciples of Christ and honorable men and women, sought to twist my language, hearken to venom tipped rumors and charge me with ill intentions.  Gentle reader, I trust your heart proves more sincere and Godlike than theirs, for in truth, I have prayed fervently about every word I have ever published and those who would condemn such language shall have not me, but the very King of heaven as their judge.  When we are in the service of our Lord, we need not fear what man can do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment